Dachstein - SBC DSL ?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Aug 1 19:47:25 CDT 2003

Bradley Miller wrote:

> I'm trying to get my new SBC DSL connection going on my old trusty
> 486DX50 box . . . I think it has 12 Mb of memory.  I fired up the
> dachstein-v1.0.2-1680.exe
> <http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/cstein/files/diskimages/dachstein/dachstein-v1.0.2-1680.exe>
> from Charles Steinkuehler's site and it boots, but I get VM errors when
> I try to do anything from the LRCFG menu.  I suspect it's a bit tight on
> memory for my old PC.  Any suggestions?

May want closer to 16MB, but most of the floppy based firewalls are
supposed to work on 8MB.  Is your memory good?  You may want to run
memtest on it.  I probably have some memory that I could sell/trade/give
you depending on what it requires (Idon't throw old pc parts out).  I
know I have 72-pin SIMMs, but I think I gave all my 30-pin stuff away.

There may also be an option with Dachstein to turn on an extra ram
drive.  When I used Freesco there was an option in the setup to turn on
2 extra RAM drives of 4MB each before you started extra services like
webserver, ftp, print server, etc.  Maybe Mr. Steinkhuler will respond
and enlighten us all.

Brian

--
A Computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
-as seen on IRC