The List has returned! [x-adr]

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Aug 1 19:40:13 CDT 2003

lowell wrote:

>keep your creations hidden, if you wished, a la linksys (and qmail?)

Not that I disagree with you but for the sake of the argument, I should
point out that your Linksys example is a bad one. Linksys must release
the source code to their routers because they are distributing the
binaries. If, OTOH, they had kept whatever GPL software they were using
in-house to accomplish their goals, in-house, then they could keep those
changes "hidden" as you said.

The GPL establishes a distiction between modification for private use
and modification for public dissemination. Modification for public
dissemination is the only thing that the GPL has power over.