ogg123 not behaving nicely in init script

Becker, Rob Becker at celeritas.com
Wed Nov 27 18:16:23 CST 2002

I am trying to start ogg123 (the command line ogg vorbis player) from an init script on a RH 7.3
box.  I have a few questions.  I have written the script to fire off ogg123 with some flags and a
location to play files from along with an & to background the process.  It looks like this.
ogg123 -q -v /directory/*.ogg &
Within the init script I call this as case start like so
start() {
`ogg123 -q -v /directory/*.ogg &`
}
How do I get the script to signal that is has started properly?
As it is written, when it is called upon boot, it starts and I never get an OK so the system never
starts any processes beyond it for the given runlevel.
Any suggestions, resources appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob