Gateway?

Eric R. rossiter at discoverynet.com
Wed Nov 27 16:15:54 CST 2002

John O'Brien @itazuke.org wrote:
> I do once or twice a week volunteer computer work
> at my churches employment center.  They have 4
> Windows networked and would like to connect to
> the internet.  Currently, no real connection.
>
> I would like them to install a DSL or Cable modem
> in a linux box (a 486 I'm setting up with SuSe 8.1
> personal).  The supplier wants a lot of money for a
> router.  What I read says, install the modem in the
> linux box and let it be the router.  But never having
> actually done it, I'm not sure.
> Am I correct?
>
> PS; I haven't gotten linux installed yet, due to a hard
> drive problem but should have it resolved this week
> end.
> Thanks,  John

If you'd like to go with RedHat, I can help you out immediately.

We can go cable w/dhcp or SBC's dsl w/pppoe.  Have experience with both.

We can set up internet connection sharing behind the Linux
router/firewall/gateway. Have a firewall/gateway/masquerading script
already developed that we can drop right in...works for either scenario
listed above. You would still need the cable modem, or dsl modem.  The
linux box would go between that and your internal network.

Whatever entity you get service from should provide a router, I know SBC
and Comcast does.  Usually not very expensive.  Or we can make the Linux
box the only router, either/or.

Have a Happy Holiday.

Eric