When does grub print 'GRUB'

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Thu Nov 21 16:14:06 CST 2002

I'm not so sure. The system.map file is just a file with symbol names and addresses of the Linux
kernel binary. It's primary use is for debugging kernel "oops" messages with ksymoops. It has no
relevance to booting Linux and really doesn't even need to be there. I think you should make sure
you have a menu.lst (that's .lst (list) NOT .1st (one-st) ) file in /boot/grub and that it follows
proper syntax. The file should look something like this:

#menu.lst
default=0
timeout=10
title Linux 2.4.19