hard drive woes

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Thu Nov 21 14:50:28 CST 2002

Quality problems seem to come in waves, but the manufacturers seem to learn
from each one.  Sometimes it's technology that doesn't perform as expected,
sometimes it's just slack in the Quality Control department.

There seem to be four failure modes:

Fails within hours (Usually caught at the factory)
Fails within two years (Annoying for those of use at corporate sites)
Reaches an expected lifespan, then croaks (less than half?)
Keeps going, and going, and going, until you wonder how anybody ever found a
use for something that small and slow.