Hack a snap server

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Nov 19 21:15:29 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marvin GodfatherofSoul Bellamy" <mbellamy at kc.rr.com>

> I'm still a relative newbie to the tech industry, and I'm constantly
> learning how much pretty packaging and perceived facility can cost.

It's not so much the pretty packaging and perceived facility.  Yeah, just
about anybody on this list would be comfortable replacing the drives in one
of these things.  What we often overlook is that that makes us pretty
special, valuable people.  We have the knowledge to take a pile of hardware
and make a working webserver out of it.  That should mean that we are worth
the difference in price between that pile of hardware and a turn-key, off
the shelf web server, at least.  Unfortunately, due to a lack of confidence
in our own value, too many of us sell ourselves out too cheaply, and devalue
the market.