restarting the network

Dale dale_n_ks at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 13 21:20:36 CST 2002

Don't know how many of you are running SuSE or are
familar with it. And not sure if any of the other
distros work like this.
But in SuSE 7.3 I was able to change my ip's and
gateway to access a different network and restart the
network with the following commands.
rcnetwork restart
rcroute restart

or /etc/init.d/network restart
/etc/init.d/route restart

How ever I have discovered that in SuSE 8.0 they have
changed this a little bit, which is causeing me to
wonder.
rcnetwork restart still works.. and will succesfully
restart the network interface. However the rcroute
command is no longer avilable.  I have only been able
to completely restart the network and routing by
switching to init 1 and back to init 3 or completly
rebooting the system.

Question is does anyone else know a way to restart the
route without going through all these hoops?