WineX Help

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Mon Nov 11 04:24:52 CST 2002

Anyone here had any experience with WineX? I have Warcraft III and a
Radeon 7500 video card and I bought the WineX subscription and I cannot
get it to work. I've navigated through Transgaming's pathetic site for
hours and hours and haven't been able to glean anything out of the forums.

I've tried:
* Reinstalling three times including using winex-cvs and completely
purging my /tmp dir.
* Reinstalling XFree86 4.2.1 and then a newer release of XFree86 4.2.1
* Upgrading Warcraft III to the most recent version.
* Applying a NO-CD crack to the game thinking that it might be a problem
with the CD-ROM
* Using a CD-Key generator to try and different CD-Key
* Deleting the Movies dir.
* I've tested OpenGL several times. I get 1,400 FPS in glxgears. It
works fine with all other OpenGL Screensaver and Applications.
* I changed window managers.
* Changed from AGP 4x to AGP 1x
* Checked my DRI permissions.
* With and without the Desktop variable set in config
* With and without Managed mode

I use this command line to start the game:

$ winex -winver win98 War3.exe -opengl -nosplash

If I drop the -opengl flag, it will run but only for about five mins
before it completely locks up system and there are tons of graphics
anomolies.

With the -opengl flag, the first time I run it, the OpenGL driver starts
and changes the video mode using the XVidMode Extention and then sets
the gamma. It then creates a black box to fill the 800x600 on the
screen. Immediately following this, "Unhandled exception, starting
debugger..." appears in the xterm window and I have to forcibly kill the
OpenGL window using xkill and then kill all wine processes. Every
following the first crash, use the same command as above and the video
mode never changes and the black box is never draw by I get the exact
same message.

Here's the wierd thing:
If I forcibly disable DRI by commenting it out the module in
/etc/X11/XF86Config then War3.exe will start in OpenGL Software mode
rendering about 1 frame every three seconds which leads me to believe
that WineX is not properly mapping DirectX call to the OpenGL calls that
the features that the present driver supports (all things are supported
by software but not all things are supported by all hardware)

I'm at my wit's end and I must have my games! Help! :)