Kernel Panics

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Wed Nov 6 19:56:27 CST 2002

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 09:57, Brad Crotchett wrote:
> Anyone have a suggestion on how I can log kernel panics on a remote
> system. When it panics I have someone on site reboot it and I cannot see
> the error message.  If I had an open ssh window at all times, is there a
> way to make sure that panic messages make it to that window?  If I had
> all kernel messages log to console would that do it?

If your talking Linux or you are using syslog and you have a
development/logging server, edit /etc/syslog.conf and put in the following:

kern.*                             @{IP ADDRESS or HOSTNAME HERE}

This will send all log messages for the kernel to the remote machines
syslog.  Keep in mind that the log messages are sent clear text so if your
not on a trusted network I wouldn't do it.

There are other details that need to be looked at to implement this.  The
syslog and/or syslog.conf man pages sould have all the details.