Compaq Proliant/RH8.0 won't load

Mike Coleman mkc+dated+1037761947.089f0e at mathdogs.com
Tue Nov 5 03:12:29 CST 2002

David Lowe <dblowe at comcast.net> writes:
> This one I have been working unsuccessfully on for the last 3 days. I have a
> Proliant that has a floppy, a IDE CD and 2 SCSI HD's running off a controller
> card (not the motherboard). It appears that either RH 8.0 cannot see the
> extended memory on the server (393 Mg) or it is unable to write to it. I have
> tried adding the memory boot parameter but that doesn't fix the problem. Just
> before it locks up I get the error msg: "Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to write
> fs to 09:02 ". Before that message another msg is displayed that says it
> cannot read the"superblock".

You're saying that this is what happens when you boot from the RH CD?

> If I do a total delete with the Compaq SmartStart software the initial screen
> on reboot only shows 16 Mg of memory. It isn't until I run the system
> configuration that the server sees all 393 Mg.

Are you sure you've run through this Smart CD correctly?  I seem to recall
that there are some Linux-specific web pages out there by individuals who have
been through this.  If this part of the config isn't done correctly, probably
other bad things will follow.

Good luck,
Mike