Compaq Proliant/RH8.0 won't load

David Lowe dblowe at comcast.net
Tue Nov 5 01:35:19 CST 2002

This one I have been working unsuccessfully on for the last 3 days. I have a
Proliant that has a floppy, a IDE CD and 2 SCSI HD's running off a controller
card (not the motherboard). It appears that either RH 8.0 cannot see the
extended memory on the server (393 Mg) or it is unable to write to it. I have
tried adding the memory boot parameter but that doesn't fix the problem. Just
before it locks up I get the error msg: "Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to write
fs to 09:02 ". Before that message another msg is displayed that says it
cannot read the"superblock".

If I do a total delete with the Compaq SmartStart software the initial screen
on reboot only shows 16 Mg of memory. It isn't until I run the system
configuration that the server sees all 393 Mg.

I have swapped the memory sticks, motherboard, scsi controller board and all
the cables. Has anyone had experience with a situation like this? Thanks for
any help................dbl
--
David Lowe
MIG #871