My SB Live! Experience w/ ALSA

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Mon Nov 4 19:19:19 CST 2002

Couple of things:

1. Gentoo by default uses the 0.9 ALSA drivers, which are currently considered a development
release. You can use the older 0.5 drivers which have support for more sound cards/chips and
generally considered more stable; but you have to specifically emerge them by version number. Note,
the two releases are incompatible with each other.

2. In order for packages to use the ALSA driver native API you have to enable it by adding the
"alsa" flag to your USE variable and then recompiling those packages. OSS emulation will not be as
good as straight OSS drivers, so this is probably why you experienced slower frame rates and
various other problems.