Newbie-ish Question Redux

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Sat Nov 2 13:25:46 CST 2002

Jeffrey R Perry wrote:
> I'm still trying to make this thing work 2 weeks later between work and
> interning on a PeopleSoft implementation team. I gotta get a

You evil, evil man. I despise the PeopleSoft bastards with every bone in
my body. They have single handledly brought the UMKC and Longview
administrative functions to it's knees with their buggy, expensive,
incomplete and incompetent software. I loathe the administrator that got
dupped in to buy it.

> Anyway this is the hardware list from Boot.
>
> (541WUB0D) Award Modular Bios v4.50PG
>
> Intel I430FX PCIset(TM)
>
> Pentium-S CPU at 166MHZ
>
> AdvanSys SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter found @ i/o address Ox6000
>
> ID #0 Seagate ST51080N 0913-DRIVE
> ID #1 Toshiba CD-Rom xm-5401ta
> ID #2 No Device Found
> ID #3 No Device Found
> ID #4 No Device Found
> ID #5 No Device Found
> ID #6 Quatum Fireball ST4.3S 0F0C - Drive 81H
> ID #7 AdvanSys SCSI PCI Bus Host Adapter

This isn't helpful at all.

> Jonathan had suggested I should upgrade the bios. Is there a good HOWTO
> somewhere that I could refer to? The instructions I've found seem to
> require Windows.

Upgrading the bios almost always requires booting from an MS-DOS floppy
and then running the vendor's upgrade software. I use an image of
FreeDOS (open-source MS-DOS), and use 'dd if=freedos.img of=/dev/floppy'
to make a boot disk and then copy the files there by mounting the floppy
using the kernel's FAT support and then copy the files for the bios
upgrade. In my case, I don't have a floppy drive so I make a bootable CD
from the img file and then perform the same functions.

Enjoy!