off-topic: phone hangups

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu May 30 16:19:14 CDT 2002

mike neuliep [mailto:mike at marauder.illiana.net] wrote:

> Privacy Manager is the way to go.  It is worth the extra
> five bucks a month.  Lets just say I don't get ANY
> unsolicited calls unless they provide caller-id (ANI).
> Also with privacy manager you can block specific phone
> numbers that you are aware as known trouble numbers.
>
> 	Mike

One minor nit.  caller-id != ANI.

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Caller_ID/cnid.faq

See item number 9)

Basically, sometimes the caller-id info can be generated
from outside the phone network which just passes it on
unverified.  Say when calling from a PBX, the PBX can
supply the caller-id info.  The ANI is used for billing,
and is _always_ generated inside the phone network.

--
Hal