netsaint external commands - fixed

Eric R. rossiter at discoverynet.com
Thu May 30 16:04:19 CDT 2002

Hi again everyone.

Found the following fix on google.

<snip>
If I turn on the x bit for the group of the /usr/local/netsaint/var/rw
  (/var/spool/netsaint in my case)

  # chmod g+x /usr/local/netsaint/var/rw

  then everything works Ok (that is I can finally send
  commands to nestanit from the cmd.cgi). This leads to a
  full sequence like that:

  # chown netsaint.nscmd /usr/local/netsaint/var/rw
  # chmod a= /usr/local/netsaint/var/rw
  # chmod u+rwx /usr/local/netsaint/var/rw
  # chmod g+rwxs /usr/local/netsaint/var/rw

</snip>

Now, I did not have the x permission for groups turned on, according to
netsaints docs, you don't.... user, yes, group, no.  *shrugs*

The "chmod g+rwxs" also changed the capital "S" in the group permissions
to a lower case "s."

Was:

drwxrwS---    2 netsaint nscmd        4096 May 30 11:04 rw

Now:

drwxrws---    2 netsaint nscmd        4096 May 30 11:04 rw

So, can anyone explain the capital "S" vs. the lowercase "s."

TIA again,
Eric