AOL - High Speed Cable

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue May 21 04:58:04 CDT 2002

You will not see AOL high speed offered through TW cable access in a
market until Road Runner - or whomever the default ISP partner was when
TW started connecting broad band consumers - no longer holds a monopoly
in that area.

An example would be de-regulation in the local telco industry.  SWB
wants to get into the long distance business, but can't do so until the
other local phone companies have at least 20% of the market.  Suddenly -
BANG - there are billboards up all over town advising us to "fire" SWB
and hire Birch, and if you look in the front of the phone book there are
ADDs and contact info for OTHER PHONE COMPANIES!!!!  (Note: SWB is now
known as SBC corp.)

I believe the FCC required TW to open the ISP market to the competition
as part of the agreement to let AOL and TW merger.  This is why our Road
Runner accounts didn't automatically become AOL accounts the day after
the merger!  If you happen to visit some place that has a modern cable
system that is not TW - you may see AOL being offered as an ISP via
cable modem.

I am not going to flame someone for using AOL, but I will point out that
Road Runner offers a dial up access option - which is currently FREE -
to their high speed customers, so AOL is not a requirement for access on
the road.

  Here is the link:

http://help.rr.com/getpage.asp?/faqs/e_dial_access_overview.html?topic=Dial+Access#pricing

I am still waiting for Everest to bring fiber to my back door.  One of
the neighbors works for them and said (unofficially) that they should be
in our area by the end of the year.  High Speed access, Voice, and
Video.  Since it is buried, there should be no storm or drunk driver
related outages to contend with.