AOL - High Speed Cable

John Lindinger jilindi at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 08:53:03 CDT 2002

You may be mixing apples and oranges. The AOL High Speed Broadband link presently on the
www.aol.com page is selling DSL telephone service, not cable modem service.

Seems that the "Time Warner" half of "AOL Time Warner" has no intention of bundling AOL
subscriptions with the RoadRunner high speed digital cable service. THAT'S GOOD!!!

Anybody who wants cable modem service, can have it without an AOL subscription.  If any
RoadRunner user really wants to routinely hear that "You've Got Mail" jingle, they can
get the $14.95/month AOL "bring-your-own-access " plan.  That's option #3 at...

   http://www.aol.com/info/pricing.html

By the way, now that I've shut off my dial-up ISP account, it's not as easy to connect my
laptop to the internet when I travel, unless the hotel has an ethernet connection in the
room (some do but it costs extra).

So silly as it sounds, having the AOL software on my laptop, though not "cool", can be
useful, because AOL does have access telephone numbers all over the country. I used AOL
in the mid nineties for this very reason. The bring your own access plan was only
$10/month then, and they charged by the hour when I did dial in on their telephone from a
motel.

John Lindinger

PS - Okay, let the flames begin...