Non-Microsoft project management tool

hanasaki hanasaki at hanaden.com
Fri May 17 03:41:36 CDT 2002

MS Project is just a tool.  You can debate its quality if you like but
its just a tool.  Get a real Project Manager to ensure that the tool is
correctly applied and used.  MS Project is not "implemented".  A proces
is implemented and the PM uses MS Project to measure/monitor the process
as applied to a specific project.  A PM gets a good salary and is worth
it.  A PM is trained and has experience.  They are not simply "book
smart/read".
	www.pmi.org

"find out what they really want" - Very good point.  Its called
requirements gathering.  Oh, don't forget to validate the requirements
and make sure they aren't requirements to implement a solution that
someone has in mind.  Look for business requirements and filter out
implementation requirements.  Customers often sneak these in and don't
even know it.

If you don't have, and correctly use, a software methodology, your hosed
from before day one!
	http://www.sei.cmu.edu/
	http://www.rational.com/products/rup/index.jsp
	http://www.sse-cmm.org/

<end rant>

Wondering where my views come from?  12+ years in Software Engineering
and a Masters in Project Management.

--
= hanasaki at hanaden.com                                          =
=     Spam : Just Say NO!                                       =