for the GENTOO crowd

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Thu May 16 13:49:58 CDT 2002

David sent this to me, but it's something other gentooers should see, so I'm
forwarding it here :)

Rich

Subject: RE:RE:for the GENTOO crowd
From: DAVID KUCHARSKI <dkucharski1 at comcast.net>
To: edelman at speedscript.com

Thanks!! That got me where I needed to be.

Dave

>Gentoo's rsync server has been overloaded due to it's sudden massive
> growth...

It now only serves rsync mirrors. To get around this, change the
SYNC line in
your /etc/make.conf file to this:
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

That'll use the round-robin dns system they have set up to redirect
you to a
mirror. Only thing is, earlier versions of Portage (> 1.8.8 I
believe) don't
correctly support this, but you can try it on a stage 1 install. If
it
doesn't work, you'll need to do a stage 3 install until the Gentoo
folks get
around to releasing new cd images.

Rich

--

"Mastery of UNIX, like mastery of language, offers real freedom. The
price of freedom is