another question about roadrunner

John Lindinger jilindi at yahoo.com
Wed May 8 21:44:29 CDT 2002

I just went through this myself...

Use a 10/100 ethernet card.  The cable modem is only 10baseT, but if you ever want more
than one computer connected to the internet (like most of us) then you will add an $80
router/switch and several PCs will plug into the router/switch/hub. All on your lan will
access the cable modem through the router/switch/hub.

RoadRunner install guy will run the cable wire, rj45 wire, and help install MS Windows or
Mac software, but Linux is not supported, a router is not supported, and they will not
lift a finger to assist with any of that.

In my case, At RR tech support guy's direction, I connected a WinNT PC directly to the
cable modem via rj45 ethernet, installed the MS TCP/IP protocol and set it to use DHCP.
As soon as I could ping a DNS server on the internet, and my web browser loaded a yahoo
page, the RR Tech support read me a canned message that my roadrunner was now working and
they cannot assist me with routers and non-supported operating systems.

Turns out, my router hooked up without a hitch, the router setup (accessed via http
browser interface) showed that the router was connected, and assigned an ISP address via
DHCP. It also listed two DNS name server IP addresses.  I added these two addresses into
my windows and linux configurations where DNS servers are specified, and twa-la, all the
computers on my private lan surf and download at warp speed.

Sorry I can't tell you from memory how to add the DNS server IP addresses to my linux
config files. I followed along in my RH Linux Bible, was not difficult.

John Lindinger