Something interesting

Lucas Peet lpeet at eccod.com
Tue May 7 23:22:34 CDT 2002

I read up on DOCSIS, and learned alot about cable modems.  Basically, all
this info is a log of a connection.

It starts by scanning for a good frequencies on the line - QAM is download
freqs, QSPK is upload.  It then goes through DHCP stuff, gets an IP (but
still cannot access the network).  It TFTPs down a config file containing
all kinds of stuff (including your caps, and authentication info), applies
it, then registers itself on the network - network access is good to go.

All this can be seen in the log a few posts ago - you can follow it through
all that.  I think the $ stuff is frequencies scanned, and frequencies
locked, etc...

-Lucas