Something interesting

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.yi.org
Tue May 7 20:54:40 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Lucas Peet wrote:

> If there's anyone who's paying for a 'Business' account...I'd like to see
> what their's say.
>
> I wonder if a sniffer would decode that better - like Ethereal or somesuch.
> And I'm curious as to what 'service' that is running on port 55555, and what
> all this information means.  Logging of some such, probably sent out to RR,
> and stuck in a log file somewhere...which is then parsed, and anything
> flagged that seems out of whack - uncappers, etc...

That's just all diagnostics information that happens to be available on
port 55555.  If you are interested in reconfiguring the cablemodem itself,
you had better know the encryption keys and snmp messaging.  I'm sure the
crown jewels of road runner are kept in a safe place.  If they got out in
the wild and caused problems, they'd have to send out the .bin file to all
their modems.  I bet these modems are secure, else there would be a lot of
michief going on that would annoy the rest of us.

from the newsgroup roadrunner.kc.earlybird:

"The cap is set at the modem itself with a Bin file that is sent from the
cable company. If you have a Surfboard 3100, 4100, or a 3 Com "Sharkfin"
you will be able to view these settings through the internal web
diagnostics page on the modem itself."

there was quite a discussion about all this...

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.yi.org                   http://counter.li.org   user #142150