Linux friendly local ISP?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue May 7 13:04:48 CDT 2002

At 05:27 AM 5/7/02 -0700, you wrote:
>ANother question.  This is a little off topic, but
>what the heck.  Since I moved into the house I just
>bought in Prairie Village, my modem will only connect
>at 28.8k.  I have the old style telephone jacks that
>are little boxes that stick out.  Is the slow modem
>connection a result of having old telephone wires or
>what?  The house was built in 1953 and I'm fairly sure
>they are original.  ANy ideas?

I can tell you, it's probably not the age of the house.  Do you have 2
phone lines?  That might be the problem.  In older neighborhoods (well,
almost any neighborhood for that matter) they will "split your pair" for a
2nd phone line.    In other words, where you might be able to connect at
48K over a single dial-up line, they split your voice line and it reduces
the amount of bandwidth the line is capable of.  When I moved to the city I
was in a house in Oak Grove, MO that was at least as old as yours or maybe
older (late 40's?).  The telephone connection was made with insulator knobs
from the telephone poll outside.  I could get on at 48K+ with a local ISP,
but we only had one phone line.  I moved to new house in Blue Springs and
lost 1/2 my speed . . . I had two phone lines installed.  DOH!!

Bradley Miller, Programmer/webmaster
AccessZone Design - www.accesszonedesign.com
Blue Springs, Missouri office
Phone: 816-228-3814		Fax: 775-254-6162 <-- NEW!!
Toll-free: 888-872-4420	ICQ: 48555780