networking question

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sat Mar 16 22:37:52 CST 2002

> My current question is this: I can't remember what file to edit
> to set the alias for my eth0 device to the kernel module for my
> NIC. I can accomplish my goal using Linuxconf or Netconf, but I
> want to do it by hand because that way I'll be able to do it if
> Linuxconf isn't installed. I just can't remember the file to
> edit, and can't find a quick reference.

IIRC, you're running RedHat?  Assuming you want to add aliases for etho, the
files are (all in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts):

ifcfg-eth0    <- Primary interface config
ifcfg-eth0:*    <- Individual aliases
ifcfg-eth0-range0    <- Assign a range of aliases with one file

See the ifup-aliases script in the same directory for comments on file
format...there's probably an Official RedHat document somwhere that talks
about it, but I can never find it when needed, and the script comments are
always right at hand ;-)

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net