[OT] SendMail in NT

Chris Midkiff cmidkiff at datacaptech.com
Thu Mar 14 19:40:00 CST 2002

I would imagine that they mean to open a socket connection to the SMTP
server and send the email manually.

If you open a connection to port 25 on the localhost you should get a
conversation that goes something like this:

Server: 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Server Version
You: helo yourdomain
Server: 250 localhost.localdomain hello yourdomain
You: mail from me at yourdomain.com
Server: 250 me at yourdomain.com... Sender ok
You: rcpt to: someone at somedomain.com
Server: 250 someone at somedomain.com... Recipient OK
You:  data
Server:  354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
You:  Hello, this is a test message
signed me
.
Server: 250 MessageID Message Accepted for Delivery
You: quit
Server: 221 localhost.localdomain closing connection

That's basically all it takes to send an email using the SMTP Standard.  Any
other method will depend on the mail server and the extent of access you
have to the server.  I don't know what the message board that you are
working with is written in, but if it gives you access to a port, then you
should be OK.   You can test this by simply telnet'ing in to the server on
port 25.

Chris Midkiff
DataCapture Technologies, INC.

<SNIP>
----- Original Message -----  they told me that their instructions say I
> must, "code a socket." But neither they nor I have any idea what that
means.
</SNIP>