an easy one

Rich Edelman rich at speedscript.com
Thu Mar 14 17:20:04 CST 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 10:50 am, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> I think it's xpm that respawns X when you try to quit at run level 5.
> There are other possibilities, but the "best practice" way to shut X down
> for console mode is to go to runlevel 3, then startx manually.  Then when
> you kill it or exit, it will stay shut down.

Just so we don't spread misinformation here... the program in question here
is called xdm, the X Display Manager. Many distributions don't bother to use
xdm anymore, as kdm (KDE Display Manager) and gdm (Gnome Display Manager) are
both improved versions of xdm.  Mandrake I believe installs kdm if KDE is
chosen as the default desktop environment, and gdm otherwise. Of course, I
could be wrong there, but I just wanted to clear up the xpm/xdm issue. :)

Rich