an easy one

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Thu Mar 14 16:45:34 CST 2002

I think it's xpm that respawns X when you try to quit at run level 5.  There
are other possibilities, but the "best practice" way to shut X down for
console mode is to go to runlevel 3, then startx manually.  Then when you
kill it or exit, it will stay shut down.

Any particular reason you don't want to change runlevels?  After all, that's
what this function is essentially for.