an easy one

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Wed Mar 13 17:46:42 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>
To J. Eric Gilliland [mailto:patzeric at yahoo.com]

> <ctrl>+<alt><F1> thru <F6>. You are most likely running kdm which keeps
> KDE up at all times, but
> you can always get to one of the first six virtual terminals the 7th is
> usually used by the X display manager (kdm, gdm, etc.)

Once you're at a console, or even from an Xterm or other terminal window,
you can #telinit 3.  This will restart the system in console-only mode, and
you can then either launch Xwindows with #startx or #telinit 5 to go back to
normal console mode.

Finally, you can look at and edit /etc/inittab, which has  a line that looks
like

id:5:initdefault:

This boots to run level 5 with GUI by default.  Change the 5 to a 3 and your
system will boot to console mode instead; to activate changes without
rebooting #telinit q.

Now may we mock you?
(Like I should talk, just having  been hit by and vectored the BadTrans
virus....)