Anyone up for a tuff problems? http direct works but cant telnet to port 80

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Wed Mar 6 19:50:00 CST 2002

Try hitting it with "traceroute -I" or better yet "traceroute -In".
12.127.201.146 is the hop just before their firewall, apparently.  "-I"
tells traceroute to use ICMP packets instead of UDP, assuming your
traceroute is properly equipped.  Most firewalls will allow ICMP messages,
but not the high-port UDP messages that traceroute sends.

Can you run an Ethereal or tcpdump trace to compare the telnet connection
with an http connection.  In particular, I'd be interested to know how far
the telnet connection gets in its handshake, and how the initial SYN
packets differ.  If you use tcpdump, be sure to use "-s 2000".