Anyone up for a tuff problems? http direct works but cant telnet to port 80

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.yi.org
Wed Mar 6 19:13:07 CST 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, hanasaki wrote:

> I am connecting the same way as you are :(
> 	telnet www.wdc.com 80
> 	Trying 129.253.170.30...
> 	telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
> Here is a traceroute to the host.
> traceroute stops at <www.wec.com>:
> 22  12.127.201.146 (12.127.201.146)  257.796 ms  271.081 ms  266.475 ms
> 23  * *

You by any chance wouldn't have ECN enabled in your kernel?

  CONFIG_INET_ECN:  Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) allows routers
to notify clients about network congestion, resulting in fewer dropped
packets and increased network performance.  This option adds ECN support
to the Linux kernel, as well as a sysctl (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn)
which allows ECN support to be disabled at runtime.  Note that, on the
Internet, there are many broken firewalls which refuse connections from
ECN-enabled machines, and it may be a while before these firewalls are
fixed.  Until then, to access a site behind such a firewall (some of which
are major sites, at the time of this writing) you will have to disable
this option, either by saying N now or by using the sysctl.  If in doubt,
say N.

[root at attaway linux]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
0

if cat returns a 1, echo a "0" into it and then try again

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://www.attaway.org                   http://counter.li.org   user #142150