dhcpcd problem

Mark Hutchings desynergy at onebox.com
Thu Jun 20 20:35:32 CDT 2002

Just out of curiosity, do you have any other systems pulling a Road Runner
IP address also?  Road Runner is cracking down on allowed IP's per cable
modem.  I guess people thought it was needed to pull anywhere from 10
to into the 40's (yes in the 40's) dynamic IP's from Road Runner. Road
Runner was running out of IP's in the KC area (and surrounding area)
that they have been updating the cable modems to allow 1 or 2 IP's to
be pulled at a single time.  I found this out when I called tech support
one time and after a bunch of grief, I got transferred to an admin in
KC that explained it to me, and if you get allowed only 1 IP, they will
raise it to 2 if you have another system thats needed a Road Runner IP.
 In my case, when my desktop was on, I couldnt get an IP for my laptop,
and vise versa. Now my cable modem is set to allow 2 IP's at the same
time.  Too bad theres idiots out there that ruin it for everyone else.
 Now that Road Runner has fixed their IP problems, not they have to worry
about the cable modem "uncapper" exploits out there and the people that
are sucking the bandwith to the max throughout the whole neighborhood
so everyone else gets 28.8 speed while the bozo thats running his uncapped
warez/porn server is getting way better than T-1 speeds up/down.  Just
an idea.  If this is the case, call Road Runner and they'll give you
a 2nd IP with no hassle now.

--
Mark Hutchings
desynergy at onebox.com - email