mysterious reboot, system problems

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Jul 29 15:26:28 CDT 2002

--dport is an alias used by iptables for --destination-port when using the
tcp match extension.  It might be your script is reading data in a format
that iptables can't parse.  It expects a "--protocol tcp" before you can
use that range option.  Otherwise, that option isn't loaded.

Sounds like your system had a long uptime.  And went through a few ugrades
before it rebooted.  This happens to me when I forget to try out my
changes with the bootscripts.  Many months can pass without a reboot and
then the fun starts.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Lucas Peet wrote:

> My server rebooted last night out of the blue, and upon restart, things aren't quite right.
>
> Everything seems to be working okay, but there's problems.
>
> For instance, now when I try to bring up my firewall, I get this:
>
> [root at riodo scripts]# ./firewall up
> iptables v1.2.4: Unknown arg `--dport'
> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
> [root at riodo scripts]#
>
> This worked fine before...
>
> That and it seems like the system isn't using the regular init scripts to bring itself up -
there's some custom things in some scripts (like mysql) that aren't running.

> All kinds of bogus stuff.  I can't seem to find anything at all in my logs either.  Some help
would be *greatly* appreciated.

> -Lucas

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150