job search

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 04:23:22 CDT 2002

Here Here! I must concur with Mr. Cavalieri on this one. I will go out
on a limb and make the assumption that Mac Ten is a "young" individual
(no offense intended). In this day and age where the prevailing
attitudes (especially of the "younger generation) seem to be immediate
gratification and "what's in it for me", this individual is not looking
for a handout or "something for nothing". Rather he is seeking
knowledge and is willing to put out some effort to get it. We should
commend that spirit, and hope it becomes more prevalent in our society.

I'll stick my neck out a little further while I'm at it. I have always
appreciated the feedback I have gotten from the members of this list
when I've had questions. Sometimes they were of a nature that most
would consider "dumb". I don't know for a fact about that, because
those who responded did so in a civil manner, and those who thought me
an idiot kept it to themselves. I have been "flamed" on other lists for
making similar inquiries. I no longer participate in those communities,
because the spirit of "community" seemed lacking.

I don't want to get preachy, but we all need to remember our humility.
Simply because we know more about a given subject than someone else, or
have a particular skill that is greater than someone else's in a
specific area doesn't mean we need to become judgemental of them.
Easing the struggle should be the goal, not ensuring that the struggle
continues. Constructive criticism has its place, but mockery and
belittling are never productive. Let's all try to further the ideals of
Linux and the FSF community - sharing, cooperation, and community.

(And I also believe that some of the replies to the original post were
made in a way to express sentiments along this vein. To those authors,
I hope I didn't offend you. For I believe many of you share my
feelings. But if you don't, that's cool too.)

Sorry for the length of this post...
Rusty