job search

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Jul 25 20:26:50 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, mac ten wrote:

> greetings,
> Is there anyone in the group that is in a position to
> hire an assistant or trainee.  Im looking to gain some
> job experience with linux or unix.

I have often wanted to ask this question myself for several years.  It was
answered to the tune of entry level jobs at ISP's for pretty much minimum
wage working with friends from LUGs.  I would have really enjoyed to work
greatly; unfortunately, long gone are my abilities to survive on small
economic means.  Many of those who did this challenge, stuck with it,
enjoyed it, and moved on to fantastic business startups with exciting
risks.

Not only were they proud of being an officer of a new company, they were
doing something completely new, like running a wireless service for a city
and competing directly with the phone company.  Most went totally on their
own, working contract offers for companies fullfilling special needs.
They didn't seem to mind the extra work required to market themselves, as
it appeared to me they knew the field they were catering for.
Manufacturing, defense, medical, etc.

I haven't done my own contracting yet.  It would be much easier for me to
go into business on my own if my employer would stop the paychecks from
coming in.  Until then, its just a fun hobby for me.  But I wouldn't mind
help doing contract work with someone to get experience.