ftp daemons and reboots

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Wed Jul 24 20:08:52 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>

> If you need a good sized number of accounts ProFTP is your best bet. If
> you just need it for a few people, and you need to install ssh anyway,
sftp
> is built into it.

Until they enable sftp in MacFetch, I can't do that.  Only a few accounts so
far, trusted users (web site owners), and no annonymous access.  I may stick
with WU, Pro looks like it'd be great for a library server but doesn't even
mention non-anonymous use.

> Any way to recompile the kernel and load
> the new kernel without a reboot? Sure would be nice.

RedHat's up2date program installed a new kernel and did a live switch.  Not
sure how, but it worked fine.  It would seem that you could use a similar
method to install a compiled kernel.

Haven't done mine yet.  Space is tight on the server (3G HD), and I'm afraid
that by the time I got all the necessary packages installed I wouldn't have
any room left to compile.