Telnet Server

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Jul 18 23:21:43 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Seth Dimbert wrote:

> Remember the Linux Box I'm setting up?
>
> It's serving http and I've got ftp working so I can upload pages to it.
>
> Now I want to get rid of the monitor and keyboard. But, "whereis telnetd"
> returns nothing helpful. How do I launch the telnet server?

I hope you don't plan on using telnet to make remote connections over a
public network.  Better use ssh and its free windows client, putty
instead.

But telnet is a basic communications tool and does have its uses.  Redhat
uses inetd or xinetd to start the telnet daemon when the port is
requested.  You can also start it directly and leave it in the background
to accept connections without the xinetd wrapper.  My telnetd is at
/usr/sbin

If you don't have it, you can install it with the RPM or just get the
source from its netkit:

ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/Networking/netkit

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150