My ongoing iptables problem...

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 22:23:22 CDT 2002

I don't know what else to try. I still can't get my
Linux "router" route/forward an http request from two
different networks. I can ping and traceroute from one
to the other but that's it. I can't do anything else.

Today I tried connecting the router to the internet
and see if I can ping to the outside from one of the
networks but I couldn't I get host unreachable error.
I can ping and traceroute from the router to anywhere
with no problem. I even disabled iptables (service
iptables stop). Still can't access the outside from
the LAN. The weird thing is that I can ping to the
outside NIC from anywhere in the LAN but can't get
passed that.

I have all the systems in the LAN with a gateway
address 192.168.1.1 (the router's LAN interface).
IP_FORWARD is enabled, no iptables/ipchains rules are
running. The router is open and accepting everything
in the INPUT, OUTPUT, FORWARD.

The only thing I haven't done is recompile the kernel.
I'm running kernel 2.4.7-10 w/ a freshly installed Red
Hat 7.2 distro, enough memory (128Mb), don't know what
other info I can give you.

Please help.

I promise this will be the last posting regarding this
problem. I just don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

=====
"An ounce of gold cannot buy an ounce of time."
- Anonymous

www.whmicro.com