SQL/odbc

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Thu Jul 18 14:44:26 CDT 2002

Don't forget Sybase and Progress...

Patrick, I would like to tell you that all databases are created equal and it's
up to the administrator to choose what he wants. However, SQL databases of today
are so proprietary that unless the application was designed to use strict ANSI
SQL standards only, you really need to choose the RDBMS the application was
designed for. Everyone pretty much includes the standards in their
implementations, but its the extensions that will come back to haunt you.
PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, Access SQL, everyone has their own flavor. Check with the
application manufacture and ask what they require. If they say that any ANSI SQL
server will work, well then you can pick and choose at will. However, if they
say they only work with MS SQL server, it's probably because the developers use
MS proprietary SQL extensions in the application itself and that limits your
choices quite a bit.

Hope that helps. -Jeremy