Distro update methods [was RE: market continues to dive!]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jul 16 20:39:19 CDT 2002

Hunh!? ;')

This is exactly why Linux needs a ports system, like portage.
It does all this dependency checking, configuration,
source options, etc. for you. Linux systems are just
too large and complex anymore to be able to know every tweak that
may need to be done to install a package.

I think I'll stick with gentoo.
Of course gentoo's portage could easily do precompiled packages.
[and does like Netscape and Adobe's evil proprietary reader]. Maybe
I should put out a precompiled gentoo build on my website, see if anyone
pulls it down.

Brian

Brian