Belkin NIC module

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 21:22:51 CDT 2002

Hey Group Gurus....

A few weeks ago I followed the suggestion of someone and picked up a
couple of the "$1.99 after rebate" special Belkin NICs from
Microcenter. I finally got around to building the machine to put them
in, and got RedHat 7.3 installed. Unfortunately it didn't recognize the
correct driver during install (apparently). The module that was loaded
was (I believe, should have written it down) 8139too. The CD has
instructions for installing the rtl8139.o module. The rtl8139.c file is
on the disk, but when I did what they described for compiling the
module out of it, it didn't work. Apparently the directory structure,
etc. doesn't follow what the script calls for. I am NOT a scipt-writer
or reader. I know, I HAVE TO LEARN...and am hoping to get the time to.
But my job requires a TON of my time...at work and home. And it is MS
centric. I couldn't find a rtl8139.o module on the system, either.  The
Belkin website only has drivers listed for MS OSes. Soooo...
If anyone has had this experience and can give me the down-and-dirty
method for getting my NIC to work, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TIA
Rusty