No end to Linux.

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Sat Jul 13 23:19:56 CDT 2002

I don't think Mr. Gates has much control over his company anymore.  From
what I have heard, working there is very competitive and cutthroat.  I
have seen in the past more than one story of people sometimes get their
desk cleared and others promoted on a moments noticed.  It seems to me
each team is competing against another to claim they were the ones who
drove up the stock value.  Pretty much the way politics are at any large
company.  Except they are more than just the Walmart of software.  There
used to be viable competitors, but none no more...

I wish I still had the mp3 of an old classic radio interview with Bill
before Microsoft made the bigtime.  He was complaining about copyrighted
software being freely copied and how little profit motive would be gained
by the authors.  He became a hero by those who wanted to make a profit.
His company attracted those people and became big.  He was also young and
made lots of grandious statements during interviews, including phrases
like "world domination."  Some companies really become aggressive when
they go public. Sometime between then and now, it became the cancerous
gorilla it is today.

It seems a few years ago, Bill finally caught wind of how much he was
appreciated lately and finally started to change.  Then started the
donations to charity.  Of course, they ended up bundling software
donations in that to help the company's bottom line.  Seems like he can't
escape a deal with the devil.  That company has so many business partners,
marketing companies, and license contracts, I doubt we will ever be free
from Windows.

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Ian wrote:

> I too believe that there would be no end to Linux. Linux shall always
> live free. But in light of the new Lindows OS and Microsoft, Bill Gates
> is a very spoiled man. I don't think that he could stop Linux, but I
> would worry about Lindows. Even though Windows is not trademarked thus
> making it legal to use the name sort of, Bill will try to take advantage
> of the system to gain. He should not be allowed to sue the creators of
> Lindows, Microsoft is the biggest monopoly of any companies out there. I
> think that they are the reason places such as Xerox, and Adelphia are
> going belly up. Paul Allen one of Bills Buddies, not to mention who was
> at Microsoft from the start owns Charter Communications. Now he is going
> to buy Adelphia and make it his own, and guess who will profit from that
> Microsoft and Bill. If Microsoft should win in the end I don't think it
> would be the end of Linux, but it would slow down its evolution. And
> that can not be allowed to happen. Bill needs the competition or he
> would have no fun. He needs to realize that Windows is not the only OS
> out there and he needs to deal with it and not try to profit off of it,
> such as the case with Apple and Macintosh for which he owns fifty
> percent of. The only reason Bill is where he is today is because he is a
> thief. Nothing that has come from him is original thinking. He is what
> he is because of Steve Jobs and Steve Wassniac.  "Good artist copy,
> Great artist steal" Bill Gates.
>
> Ian

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150