Speaking of jobs . . .

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Thu Jul 11 18:55:05 CDT 2002

>Global economies are just fine on paper . . . I'm going to India
>for a freakin' job.

They're fine in reality, too. When you come back from India,
you'll be more able to work at the gas station on the corner,
or drive a taxicab. As you tour India, you'll be astonished at
how much luxury you've been surrounded by all your life, and
you thought you were poor. People in North Korea are eating
grass to stay alive.

Somewhere on your journey, in a way no words can match,
you'll come to realize why immigrants take the jobs nobody
wants, and humility always wears well in job interviews,
especially in the tech sector which is full of people who
think they're better than they really are.

Yes, being laid off sucks, but dying of starvation is what people
in North Korea are facing. Get a humbler perspective, and you
become more grateful for what little you have. Works for me.

-Jared