Got a bunch of MP3's?

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Jul 4 13:08:19 CDT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, J. Eric Gilliland wrote:

> Warning, I feel a rant coming on.

Oh, the fireworks are just beginning.  My sister's tango band released 4
cd's (Tosca) and one movie on the big screen (Waking Life, showed here in
Kansas City!) I think her biggest goldmine was a $400 check for the movie.
Gotta love the MPAA.  Making my family rich.  NOT!  Well, she makes her
money teaching piano students and when her bands perform.  I don't see the
RIAA putting her in big mansions and giving her first class flights,
etc...

As far as getting caught with a big mp3 collection?  "I just don't know
how my box got r00ted, I'm going to have to be more careful from now
on...that wireless link took on a life of its own and the hard drive
started filling up...and the endless supply of wacky home videos..."

Local bands play better than canned music anyways.  They can just capture
the community spirit and put it into music better than any manufacturer
can. I just wish the recording equipment was cheaper so we could do it
more often.  Electronic music is fun to make, sounds cool, and is a great
form of expression.  And more freely available gems are available today,
thanks to communication technologies that the RIAA and MPAA hates so much.