Apache worm released

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Mon Jul 1 21:11:35 CDT 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Eric Rossiter wrote:

> Brian Densmore wrote:
> >
> > BTW, This is the wrong version anyway.
> > You have version 1.3.22 Apache rpm.
> > You need version 1.3.26 Apache rpm
>

> Oh man!!! Say it ain't so!!! /me sits on the curb and cries....  You
> know, I looked and looked, and 1.3.22 was the latest rpm I could find.
> I found apache 1.3.26.tar.gz but I wouldn't know what to do with it.  I
> have hard enought time with rpm's.  I mean, I know .configure, make,
> make install, but I wouldn't know how to use a gz file to upgrade
> apache... /me shakes his head so hard it rattles...

According to http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-103.html,
apache-1.3.22-6.i386.rpm is the correct package to use to fix the chunked
encoding problem.

More often than not, Red Hat won't upgrade to the latest version of a
package to fix a problem.  Instead they backport the fix to whatever
version they're currently shipping. The "-6" in the package name indicates
that this is the 6th change they've made to the stock Apache 1.3.22
distribution.  This sort of naming can cause a fair amount of confusion.