Apache worm released

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Jul 1 20:52:31 CDT 2002

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Eric Rossiter wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> >
> > If you use a standard packaged version see if your distro has an upgraded
> > package. If not download ApacheToolbox and run through it's menu and just
> > follow the directions. It isn't very hard.
> >

> Nope, not hard at all... if you know what you're doing.
>
> I downloaded apache-1.3.26.i386.rpm and installed it trying to upgrade.
> Now httpd won't restart...Netscape tells me mrtg and netsaint pages
> don't exist.
>
> Tried rpm -e apache-1.3.26.i386.rpm and I'm told it's not installed. (I
> just LOVE this)
>
> There are days I love this OS, and days that I hate it.  1 guess as to
> what kind of a day this is.

Most people would tell you to stay away from Gentoo Linux, because
everything is built from source, and you know newbies cannot handle
anything from scratch, but I'm here to tell you installing or upgrading
the most complicated packages has been a breeze so far:

emerge rsync                 <--to update the source tree
emerge -u apache             <--upgrade apache
/etc/init.d/apache restart   <--restarting without dropping connections

sometimes I'm lazy and don't upgrade individual packages, I just:

emerge - u world             <--upgrade everything

It lets me browse and hack the source tree and even symlink to it from
apache:

http://attaway.net/gentoo/source

...if you want to see what's currently making this computer tick...

> This upgrading, patching and associated BS borders on the quite
> ridiculous.  How does one EVER keep up.

Redhat was too complicated for me.  I had to settle for a source based
distribution.  Gento makes it easy for me to make changes, go back to a
previous version of something if I needed to, and see what is going on at
every step.  Its very modular, which keeps the complexity down.  Your
experiences may vary.

I still remember redhat quite well, so I'd love to answer all questions I
get.

> So far I have boxes to upgrade ssh on, boxes to upgrade Apache on, and
> I'm quite friggin lost.
>
> So, any idea how can I can fix this and at least get back to where I
> was?

With redhat, I had to take detailed notes of what I did and use the
--force --nodeps --noarch options with rpm a lot.  My setup would always
turn into something very non-standard.

> Severely pissed, E

Know what you mean!

-=Duane