Web hosting services

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Mon Jul 1 19:10:27 CDT 2002

Based on the preliminary analysis I have done so far, they appear to be
on the top end of the scale of what I have seen so far.  A
not-for-profit informational website obviously has different support and
uptime requirements from a profitable, mission critical commercial site.

If I had a site generating an average of $10k/hour or more in net sales,
  I would want a provider with redundant, geographically diverse,
hardened installations, with dual utility feeds, multiple redundant
servers and multiple communications connections.  For this type of
service I would expect to pay QUITE a bit more.

At this point I suspect that I am not going to recommend them for this
project, but I REALLY HOPE to have a project in the future that requires
these types of services.  (grin!!!!)

I asked for suggestions for web hosting so I could see a broad range of
possiblilities, and I knew that several of us were associated with
various local providers.  I always like to buy close to home and to
support those that are committed to my 'neighborhood".  The fact that
some of the suggestions were for Linux based ISP's was a very pleasant
bonus.

On a slightly different angle, (for those that may doubt my motives) one
of the reasons I am pushing to get this site off of my personal road
runner home page and placed with an independant provider, is to avoid
any appearance of monopolistic behavior.  While I am the web admin and
much of the information was put up by me or my wife, I beleive that the
information belongs to the group, not to me.  When I move on to another
position or project, I want my successor to be able to take over and
continue providing the information to the group without having to
reinvent the wheel!