Apache worm released

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Mon Jul 1 18:46:45 CDT 2002

> Nope, not hard at all... if you know what you're doing.
>
> I downloaded apache-1.3.26.i386.rpm and installed it trying to upgrade.
> Now httpd won't restart...Netscape tells me mrtg and netsaint pages
> don't exist.

What errors does httpd give when you try to start?

> Tried rpm -e apache-1.3.26.i386.rpm and I'm told it's not installed. (I
> just LOVE this)

Try 'rpm -e apache'. With rpm's you don't uninstall a file, you uninstall
a package.

> There are days I love this OS, and days that I hate it.  1 guess as to
> what kind of a day this is.
>
> This upgrading, patching and associated BS borders on the quite
> ridiculous.  How does one EVER keep up.

It's not difficult once you get used to it and there are tools such as Red
Carpet and RedHat Update that can do most of it for you. Besides it's
better than having no way to fix your problem.. the M$ way. ;)

> So far I have boxes to upgrade ssh on, boxes to upgrade Apache on, and
> I'm quite friggin lost.

I'd suggest looking at Ximian's Red Carpet. It'll help you out a lot. It's
the ebst upgrade tool I've used I think. Otherwise if you installed it
RedHat does come with an upgrade utility but I don't really like it much.