HP-UNIX?

Jonathan Hale maclaoch at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 19 16:38:21 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at home.com>
To: <kclug at kclug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: HP-UNIX?

> So are you saying there are several AIX machines sitting around doing
> nothing?  What ever happened to the movement to teach and learn around
> here. Some people were going to meet separate from the LUG to learn and I
> never saw anything materialize.

<rant>
Not just some people from KCLUG, but also KULUA.  I was really interested in
doing this, and came to a meeting about two or three months ago to discuss
it, but not very many of the other people showed up.  I agree with Jared's
assessment that if we were going to do something, it would have to be
something of more value than just a bunch of people getting together to cram
for certification exams.  Personally, I thought we should evaluate all the
common test objectives for LPI, SAIR, Solaris, and HP-UX certification and
hold classes to teach the commonalities.  The other thirty or so percent
that would be unique to each variant, people would have to learn on their
own.  I also like Jared's idea of setting up a honeypot system for people to
try to crack into.  But after seeing the turnout to discuss this at that
meeting, and after having spoke with Jared, you, and Arivind, I realized it
was something that I couldn't coordinate all by myself.  At that point, I
was still more than willing to assist in the coordination, though, as I was
unemployed and had plenty of time on my hands.  I decided not to post
anything (so as not to discourage others) and let that thread run its course
on its own.  If anyone emailed me about the status of this undertaking, I
emailed them back individually, but refrained from posting anything to the
list.  I'm still interested, but currently I don't know how much I would be
able to help.  Soon after attending the aforementioned meeting, I started
doing seasonal tech support at H&R Block.  I am also working towards
finishing my two-year degree at JCCC (just have about three or four more
general ed classes there), and two weeks ago started a four-year degree
completion program at Ottawa U.  When I started at Block, they weren't
hiring part-time, I really needed to work, and (not knowing any better) I
was afraid if I limited my hours too much, they wouldn't want to hire me.
I'd really prefer to find something (like a paid internship) that would be
about thirty hours a week, so that I would have more time to help with
personal projects like this, but so far I've had no takers...</rant>