Another good reason for telnet

John Heryer jheryer at violet.jayhawks.net
Fri Jan 11 22:01:09 CST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 mrkshrt at transparentsolutions.com wrote:

> I may have lost the point here at some place along the line, but the
> security issue isn't telnet client, it is telnet running on the server as
> far as I know.
>
> When you do things like telnet to port 80 to act like a browser, that isn't
> using telnet on the server, you are just acting to the web server like a web
> browser by using telnet.

When I read 'telnet', I think of the general protocol. After reading his
post I was under the impression that Mr. Smith was advocating the use of
the protocol. I absolutly agree that the telnet client is a very useful
tool in troubleshooting the variety services on a machine. Though I do
believe that its use is limited and should not go any further than that.

--
John Heryer
jheryer at jayhawks.net